Let’s Start With What Exactly is Technical SEO?
Technical SEO is the all the HTML, hosting and developer things that must be done in order for your website to rank adequately. Search Engine Optimization is the practice of optimizing one’s website. So naturally, you don’t want any XLM sitemap, duplicate content or search console errors or issues to name a few. These are all things that should be on your or your SEO experts technical SEO checklist.
Below we will run down a list of technical issues. You should run through while doing a technical audit of your or your client’s website. To be honest, technical is a drag very few SEO guides cover it completely. To be honest I probably will not either in this post at least. This is a field of SEO that has its own department in most SEO companies, yet basically, no useful training can be found for it online.
What Does Technical SEO Consist of?
Technical SEO can consist of a wide range of things but generally speaking, it is mostly things to do with the HTML code or hosting of a website. It’s the very technical things involved in websites which is why we tent to call it Technical Search Engine Optimization some things can
Technical SEO consists of the following:
- Mobile Friendly – This means website can be easily read and accessed on mobile devices. Since mobile devices are basically taking over internet mobile websites or mobile pages. Only targeted at mobile users are becoming all too common. Sometimes called Accelerated Mobile Pages this new frontier in SEO is a huge opportunity that no one can afford to ignore.
- URL Structure – This is the structure of your URL. For example, if you have a page that is about your paint supply store in Birmingham. You have to have domain.com/paint-store-birmingham in your URL given that it’s not already in your domain.
- SSL certificate – This is a security issue and a ranking factor. Luckily there are a bunch of hosting providers that offer one-click free security sockets certificates.
- XML SiteMap & Robot.txt File – This is a page and file on your website that tells the web crawlers all the pages you have on your website. This is very important. But luckily Yoast has an automatic XML site map and robots.txt creation in their plugin.
- Search Console Errors – Are usually fixed given time and that the mentioned errors above have been fixed. If not you will have have to look into it further on your Google Search Console.
- Internal Linking – Internal links or as we in the game call it inner-linking. Is all about making it as easy as possible for your visitors to find the information needed or that might interest them if it is related. The great thing about this is that is it passes on the power of external links to those websites.
- Structured Data or Schema Markup – This is relatively new to the wide world of SEO it basically tells what exactly is on your blog post/page website in general. It shows who the owner, date of publishing, and organization if applicable.
- Duplicate Content – This is something that Google will not warn you about and tank your website immediately. The best way to make sure this does not happen is to use a plagiarism checkers like Copyscape.
- Canonical URL – This is to tell the search engine bots if some URL’s are one
inthe same. This can sometimes be an issue with older blogs.
- Website Speed – This could have a list of its own for things and plugins that can make your life a whole lot easier. But if we opened that can of worms. We would be here all night. I’ll give you WordPress fans a hint WP rocket.
- Webmaster Tools – Making sure these are verified and the update is a must.
Why is Technical SEO Important?
At the end of its the user experience that counts. Just because some of these things may be ranking factors does not mean usability is not the main goal. While we are here another to advanced SEO tip. This will
In conclusion, this is one of those things that absolutely cannot be overlooked. When search engines crawl your website and you have an issue. Best is to get it fixed by the next time the crawl happens again. How long you ask about a month unless you start to get a high bounce rate which could spell disaster for your rankings and or conversion rate
Once again thanks for reading another Search Engine Farm Explains and I hope to see you guys again soon.